Day In London.



London is my favourite place - not just in the UK, but on the whole planet. I love it so much so that my entire bedroom is London themed. I used to go quite regularly, but after moving to Newquay and working six days a week, I didn't have the time. The last time I went to London was in September 2013 to see McFly at the Royal Albert Hall. It was fantastic, but being in a wheelchair and unable to use the tube made me feel like I hadn't really been to London.

After Carrie Hope Fletcher had been cast as the part of Eponine in Les Miserables at The Queens Theatre, I wanted to go. I had already seen the show back in 2012 but really wanted to see it again whilst Carrie was in it. She was originally cast to play the role until 17th June 2014, so my cousin and I booked tickets for 11th June. Since then, her contract has been renewed and extended another year, meaning that she will be there until 17th June 2015.

I met my cousin at the train station at 8:50am and we caught the 9am train to London Euston. Once we were there, we hit the tube ready for our day out. It felt amazing to be on the tube again, as I absolutely love it and I had missed out on it last time I had been to London.We went to a few places - ChoccyWoccyDooDah, M&M World, Cool Britannia. We generally just wandered round different parts like Carnaby Street, Picadilly Circus, Covent Garden and Leicester Square. In Leicester Square, they were setting up barriers for a premiere later on that evening which we later found out was for the new musical film Walking On Sunshine.


After going to TGI Fridays for lunch, we headed to the theatre. I had budgeted to buy myself a programme, but also ended up caving in and buying myself both a mug and a tshirt. I was astonished at how low the prices were and knew I would regret it if I didn't snap them up, with the mug at just £5 and the tshirt at £10.

We took our seats in the theatre, which were on the back row in the stalls. It was very different from the last time I went, where I was front row of the stalls on the same side. However, when I had booked the tickets, I was on crutches and needed an end seat, but the only seats available on the left side were the back row.. Still, it was a great view despite the balcony overhang.

In the three rows in front of us sat a huge group of school children who were the most emotional kids I have ever seen. They all cried at the show - especially the boys! I managed to keep it together, as I never feel as engrossed in shows when I'm near the back compared to when I'm at the front.

The performance was just as fantastic as I remember it being the first time, with the added bonus of Carrie as Eponine. I always knew she was a talented young woman but her performance was truly breath taking, as she makes everything seem so easy and effortless. I envy her!

I only have one criticism of the show and it's a very minor one at that. One of my favourite parts of the stage show was that once Enjorlas gets shot, he is left hanging with the red flag. In the previous production I saw in 2012,  he hung upside down from the barricade by just his ankle (as it is in the film) and it was both breath taking and emotional. However, in this production, he was simply lying flat on part of the barricade with the flag, and it wasn't even nearly as effective. As I said, it's a minor detail, but it was one of my favourite parts of the show.


After the show, I would have liked to have hung round by the stage door in hopes of meeting Carrie but my cousin wanted to get home before rush hour, so we hit the tube and then the train back to Coventry. I was on my feet nearly all day for the first time without crutches, along with going up and down the hundreds of stairs that come along with tube travel, and even though my bad leg was tired, it seemed to cope okay. My feet, however, were cut and blistered to oblivion!
It was a fantastic day and I can't wait to go back to London.

Clare
xxx

0 comments :

Post a Comment