Jobs Like Buses.


Have you ever heard the saying "You wait around for ages, then two buses come along at once"? That's exactly what's happened to me but with jobs.


Last Friday, I had a job interview for cabin crew. On Monday, I had an interview for a family fun centre doing a variety of different jobs. On Tuesday, I was informed that I had got the job at the family place, and I started today. Whilst on my first shift at work today, I got left a voice mail from the airline telling me that I had been successful in my assessment and that I was invited to the training course.

Why is it that after months of applying for hundreds of jobs and getting so many rejections that I could wallpaper the entire of our house with them, that I apply for two jobs I actually really want, and get both of them? It's crazy!

Now that I've accepted the family one, I'm going to stick with it. My first day was today and I did what I would be consider to be the worst part of the job, and I actually enjoyed myself. It will be different every day and I will be working in so many different departments, with people of all ages as well as animals. The people there are really friendly, and I feel that I will learn lots of new skills working there. Plus, it means I can still be living at home whilst I save enough money to buy my own house.

I'm gutted that I was offered the cabin crew one because it's something that I really want to do, but there are so many more cons than pros. I could be based in any of 71 bases over 30 countries, having to pay to live in my own house which wages really don't cover. I would have to pay over £3000 up front for a six week training course in Germany without food or toiletries, and then I might not even pass the course anyway. Plus, if I passed it, I don't get paid for the whole time I'm working - only when the airplane isn't on the ground, meaning I would be working so many hours unpaid.

I kind of wish that I hadn't been offered the cabin crew job, because I think I will always wonder - "what if?" - but today was my first day in my other job, and I absolutely loved it, so here's hoping that I can build a career that I love there.

Clare
(twitter / instagram)
xxx

0 comments :

Post a Comment