My Studio Day.


Back in November, for my 21st birthday, one of the most amazing presents I got was off my godmother. It was a six hour recording studio experience package from BuyAGift.

Seeing as the studio was in Witham (Essex), we decided it was too far to travel to be there for a 10am start, and booked a short break around it. We stayed in Clacton, even though the studio was in Witham. You can read about my overall stay in Clacton here.

On the morning of the studio day, we got up early and went for a good old Tesco breakfast before making the drive to Witham. We ended up on an industrial estate, searching high and low for this studio. Eventually, we found it.

I was overwhelmed to discover that the studio I was recording in (Soundmagic Studios) was the studio in which Jessie J recorded her first album. Her first CD was on the wall and pictures of her when she was a child, along with all of the other people who had recorded CDs there.

Even though I was told I would probably only get to record 2 or 3 songs, I prepared 10 just in case and had put them in order of priority. I had previously emailed photos to use for the album cover, which I had paid to have done professionally back in May. You can read about that experience here.

I was told to bring my songs on a USB stick which I did, but for some reason, I had decided to burn them onto a CD too 'just in case'. It was a good job I did as my USB stick malfunctioned when it was plugged into the studio computer, and I couldn't access any of my songs! It's a good job I'm organised. Unfortunately, this meant one of my songs would not play as it hadn't burned properly to the disc.

I put the songs I wanted to do in order of priority. These were:
- No One But You (We Will Rock You)
- On My Own (Les Miserables)
- Reflection (Mulan)
- I Dreamed A Dream (Les Miserables)
- There's A Fine, Fine Line (Avenue Q)
- A Change In Me (Beauty & The Beast)
- Let's Play A Love Scene (Fame)
- Gimme Gimme (Thoroughly Modern Millie)
- Legally Blonde (Legally Blonde)
The one that I was unable to do due to the song not burning properly was Hopelessly Devoted To You from Grease.

In the end, I got 6 of the songs recorded which I was really happy with when I was told to only prepare 2/3. I even had time to do another one or two more than what I recorded, but after A Change In Me, my voice was hurting and starting to go quite raspy which you could hear in the recording, so I decided to quit while I was ahead rather than ruin what was a good CD so far.

The whole experience was amazing and the man who ran the studio, Steve, made me feel so comfortable and at home. He was impressed with my voice, and although I redid a few lines that I was unhappy with, he didn't have to use any auto tune or anything to make me sound good.

Here is a video of my day in the studio;


I am really happy with the final product and cannot thank my godmother enough for giving me this incredible experience.

Clare
(twitter / instagram)
xxx

0 comments :

Post a Comment